By now, you’ve considered what you want in a surgeon, make a list of local liposuction surgeons, and narrowed the list down to doctors you most want to speak to. Now, it’s time to prepare for your consultation.
Step Four: Create your list of questions.
During your initial consultation, you’ll want to ask a prospective surgeon questions about the procedure. Some of the most common questions patients have for liposuction surgeons include:
- How did you train in performing liposuction procedures?
- How long have you been doing liposuction? How many times have you performed this type of procedure?
- Where do you perform liposuction procedures? If the procedures are done in the office, what are the safety protocols, ties to hospitals, etc., in the event of an emergency?
- Who performs the anesthesia during the procedure? What are that person’s qualifications?
- What options would you recommend for me? What results do you predict?
- Can you show me examples of other patients who have had similar work done and their results?
- What should I expect in terms of recovery–both immediately after the procedure and longer term?
Step Five: Talk about fees.
It’s often best to talk about costs and fees during your initial consultation, rather than over the phone. Often, the most accurate estimate of costs can only be made after the surgeon has evaluated your individual needs.
Discussing fees before work is done is an important step. And while costs may affect your decision, remember that the most important factor is if you are comfortable with the surgeon: be confident that you have communicated the results you want.
Step Six: Communicate with your doctor and the office.
Not everyone feels comfortable at first questioning their doctor. Think of the conversation as an information-gathering expedition, rather than a confrontation. To take the best care of your body and your health, you need to know certain things, and your surgeon is there to provide information. (Of course, if the surgeon doesn’t answer your questions satisfactorily or makes you feel uncomfortable for asking them, don’t work with that surgeon!)
Don’t go into any liposuction procedure with unanswered questions. If you’re concerned about something, or if you forgot an important point during your appointment, call the office and mention it. Most doctors and staff are happy to work with patients, because they understand that the more engaged you are, the healthier and happier you will be.
For a free, private consultation about your liposuction options in Cleveland, please call our team at The Cosmetic Surgery Center at (216) 264-8100.
Below is an example of a typical result.
To see more images, please visit our Before and After Gallery