Although liposuction procedures have become safer and less invasive as new techniques have developed, liposuction remains a surgical procedure. Your body will still need to recover from the surgery. Here are a few tips to help your recovery process.
While you are recovering from liposuction surgery:
- Put the doctor’s instructions in a prominent place. You may need to double-check these instructions several times over the next few days or weeks. Put them someplace you can do this easily, such as on your bedside table.
- Use your compression garment. You may receive a compression garment to wear after surgery. Use it! This garment helps control swelling and pain, improve healing and the contour of the tissues, and reduce the risk of fluid accumulations (seromas). The more closely you follow instructions on wearing the compression garment, the better your results will be.
- Be patient. Liposuction can cause significant swelling and fluid retention. In the first days and weeks after your procedure, you may see little to no change in your body shape. You may feel as if the area has gotten larger. In fact, your body may continue to “shrink” for up to six months after the surgery. (Consider waiting to buy new clothes until several months have passed.)
- Limit activities. Moving too much or overexerting yourself too soon after surgery may reduce the effectiveness of your results–and potentially damage your body. Plan to do too little, rather than too much.
- Pay attention to your body. Stay alert for signs of infection, like additional pain, tenderness, inflammation, discharge or fever. If any of these signs appear, don’t ignore them. Your body is trying to give you vital information about its health and safety. Contact your doctor at once.
- Go to follow-up appointments. As the weeks pass, you may start feeling perfectly healthy again. Proud of what you see in the mirror, you may decide that your post-op appointments are a lower priority. Keep these appointments nonetheless. They help your doctor spot any early or developing medical issues, and they help ensure you can fully enjoy the results of your liposuction for years to come.
Below is an example of a typical result:
To see more images, please visit our Before and After Gallery
Would you like to know more about your liposuction surgery options? Our experienced Cleveland doctors are standing by to assist: get in touch with Dr. Matt Goldschmidt at The Cosmetic Surgery Center at (216) 264-8100.