How To Start Finding the Best Breast Surgeon
Choosing the best surgeon for your breast augmentation is a big decision. To perform your procedure, you’ll want a doctor who is certified; who has experience with the type of procedure and implants that will be best for you; and who makes you feel informed, prepared, and completely comfortable. Here’s how to start your search.
Wondering where to start looking for a breast plastic surgeon? Try these resources:
- Your family doctor. Your family doctor or primary care physician may be able to refer you to local surgeons who focus on breast augmentation. Once you have a referral, however, don’t hesitate to follow up by asking questions. Make sure the referred doctor is the right one for you.
- Professional organizations. Organizations like the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery keep databases of their member surgeons – and can also provide helpful tips on how to choose among your options.
- Word of mouth. Both online sites like RealSelf.com and connections with people in your area can help you find out whether a particular surgeon’s patients were comfortable in the office, knew what to expect, and are happy with their results.
Choosing the Right Plastic Surgeon For You
Once you’ve narrowed down your list of options to a few promising names, it’s time to start talking to potential surgeons one on one. Here are the most important questions to ask a potential surgeon:
- What credentials and training do you have? Surgeons who are board-certified adhere to a strict code of rules and ethics, including working only in accredited hospitals and facilities, meeting ongoing continuing education requirements, and obeying strict rules about patient ethics.
- How many procedures like this one have you done? Experience counts when choosing your surgeon. Also, look for someone with recent experience – they’ll know the current best practices and the most up to date options.
- What are the risks? Every surgery has some risk. Ask about the risks and side effects, and weigh these against the benefits before making your decision.
- Where and how will my surgery be done? Will surgery be performed in a hospital, office, or ambulatory facility? Is that facility accredited, meaning that it has passed strict guidelines for safety, hygiene, and more? Also, ask how side effects and complications will be handled after your surgery.
Remember that your comfort level is essential. If you don’t feel confident that the doctor is the right choice, or if you feel intimidated when you try to ask questions, keep looking. Your confidence with the results of your augmentation depends on it.
Read more about our Breast Augmentation & Enhancement Surgery.
For a free, private consultation about your breast augmentation surgery options in Cleveland, please call our team at The Cosmetic Surgery Center at (216) 264-8100.
About Dr. Goldschmidt
Matthew Goldschmidt, MD, FACS is a cosmetic surgeon with an impressive list of academic and professional achievements. He is board certified by two surgical boards which include the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery, for body, breast and facial surgery, as well as the Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery.